20 Years

rob-anderson.jpeg

Dr. Rob Anderson

“Rob Anderson knows everything you want and don't want to know about Manitoba's unofficial mascot, the mosquito. Rob's expertise in mosquitos and their role as a disease vector have made him highly sought after, including when he was seconded by the Manitoba Provincial government to lead their efforts to mitigate the threat of West Nile virus. Rob's current research is focused on identifying preferred breeding habitats for mosquitos and developing new methods of monitoring and controlling Winnipeg mosquito populations. The Biology Department congratulates Rob on his twenty years of service.” – Dr. Jens Franck, Chair, Biology

Athar Ata

Dr. Athar Ata

Dr. Athar Ata is a Chemistry Professor and the Chair of the Department of Chemistry. Dr. Ata graduated from the University of Agriculture Faisalabad with a Master of Science degree in 1989 and the University of Karachi with a PhD in Chemistry in 1995. He was honoured with receiving the Clifford J. Robson Memorial Award for Excellence in Teaching. He enjoys contributing to scientific literature and is a fundraising advocate for the Canadian Diabetes Association. He was elected to the Board in 2019 and sits on The University of Winnipeg Senate.

Phil Baker

Philip Baker

“The man who always cares about the student’s success. Phil always goes above and beyond for the students and Access staff.” – Jan Cox, Coordinator, ACCESS Education

“菲尔是一个非凡的教育家。他的愿景and for the ACCESS Program is inspiring. Phil always has the best interests of his students and coworkers at heart. When I visited schools with Phil there was always someone at the school who knew him, took a class with him, attended a PD session, or had crossed paths with Phil at a number of other education events. When he was honoured with a Star Blanket you could see how humbled and emotional a moment that was for him. A most deserved honour for an outstanding educator. Congratulations Phil!” – Peter Bjornson, Instructor, ACCESS Education

“One thing many of us in the Faculty of Education and in the field have always admired about Phil Baker is his reliability. His work ethic is strong, and if he makes a commitment, he honours it. Phil’s response when his house burned to the ground back in 2002 is a case in point. It was a terribly traumatic experience to be sure, for virtually nothing was salvaged. To be more precise, only his golf clubs and bowling ball were saved (which, I suppose, says something about priorities). In truth, it was an extremely close call – Phil spent the night in the hospital as a result of smoke inhalation. The only upside was that his wardrobe was totally destroyed. Anyway, to make a long story short, the next day he was back teaching his course (wearing the only shoes left to him – his golf cleats). All kidding aside, though, that’s the type of dedication to students, colleagues, and the profession that has marked Phil Baker’s career over the years.” – Dr. Ken McCluskey, Professor, Education

Claire Borody

Dr. Claire Borody

“Dr. Claire Borody took me out to dinner in my first month in Winnipeg, and that began a funny and free-ranging conversation about theatrical form and training that continues to this day. Over the twenty years of her service to the U of W, Winnipeg has seen a steady stream of independent, aesthetically bold theatre companies spring up directly because of the training and imaginative awakening she provides our students. Claire is held in high esteem by her students, by her colleagues, and by theatre academics across the country for her broad, bold, and diverse research and creative pursuits, from writing scholarly articles, to facilitating devised theatre creation, to writing adaptations of classic plays. Our department and the wider University are fortunate to have a scholar-creator of Claire's calibre as a friend and colleague. Congratulations Claire.” – Christopher Brauer, Chair, Theatre and Film

Dave Crook

Dave Crook

“Dave Crook is the biggest supporter of UWinnipeg Athletics and athletes. He is a strong advocate for all students and will take time out of any day or night to help out an athlete. On Friday and Saturday nights and during holiday breaks you can see Dave working at what he loves best, promoting UW Athletics. I miss seeing Dave's weekend suit. Whether it is the eye-catcher, solid red three piece, or the Plazo Pant tie dyed crowd pleaser, Dave is sure to win the best dressed in the David Anderson Gym.

"Dave is one of those people you instantly like – helpful, genuine and professional. A great ambassador for UW and a pillar in our community.” – Dr. Jan Stewart, Deputy Provost and Associate Vice-president Academic

Pam Delorme

Pam Delorme

”帕姆就是我们部门的岩石。我don't think any of us could imagine not being able to avail ourselves of Pam's highly competent, knowledgeable, and skilled abilities. The phrase, ‘just ask Pam’ is a daily utterance among faculty and staff. Pam has a great smile and easygoing personality, not to mention a fantastic laugh. It is a shame that during the pandemic we have not been able to interact as much, as it is always was uplifting to just drop by to chat with Pam, who always has time for everyone. Congratulations to Pam on her twenty years of service.”– Dr. Jens Franck, Chair, Biology

Michael Dudley

Michael Dudley

“Michael brings an energetic spirit to his work and is really at his best when he is striking new relationships and finding better ways to bring the library to our wide range of users. Michael has endless curiosity about things. A couple of things you may not know about Michael Dudley: he is actually quite funny and knows a lot about sci-fi and fan culture. Not sure if I should admit this, but we’ve had our share of chats about Buffy the Vampire Slayer.” – Gabrielle Prefontaine, Dean of the Library

我sabela Dueck

我sabela Dueck

我sabela has witnessed more than one life-changing moment during her twenty years at the university – the two days she will never forget are 9/11, which was her first year at the Collegiate, and March 13, 2020, last year, and the last day of classes before the Covid-19 lockdown. In both instances, she says, “our hallowed halls of learning were rocked by outside forces… We all knew the world had fundamentally changed.”

“Bella is known for her creativity and ability to engage student learning in her classroom. She is a dedicated teacher and takes a keen interest in each of her students.” – Kevin Clace, Dean, Collegiate

Carlton Duguay

Carlton DuGuay

“It’s difficult to comprehend that Carlton has been with us for twenty years as he looks eternally young. Carlton is a talented instructor and teaches a wide variety of labs and lectures in our Department. Carlton's skill at coordinating our large introductory labs make for a very smooth running course. Carlton has a strong commitment to University service, serving on many Senate level committees. He also frequently serves as a member of Honours student committees. The Biology Department congratulates Carlton on his twenty years of service.” – Dr. Jens Franck, Chair, Biology

Jonathon Franklin

Jonathon Franklin

“我知道乔纳森喜欢体育,或一个特定的热点rt – I can't recall which one. I think hockey of some kind. I recall his coming to work with a cast on his wrist a few years ago – because said sport. He's better now. I don't know if he still plays.” – Dr. Glenn Moulaison, Dean of Arts

Leanne Garland

Claude Garand

“Claude has served as a teacher and associate dean at the UW Collegiate. He has an amazing ability to draw artistic talent out of students in his fine art and digital art programs.” – Kevin Clace, Dean, Collegiate

Leanne Garland

Leanne Garland

我n her twenty years at the university, Leanne has not only witnessed the move from analog to digital, but also the return of the Jets, and the Blue Bombers winning the Grey Cup! She says that some of her colleagues might be surprised at the length of time she has been an employee here, but those same colleagues are her favourite part of her job. Leanne will never forget the construction of Richardson College: “I was fortunately able to be a part of the project and it was satisfying seeing it come together.”

Jillian Golby Borsa

Jillian Golby Borsa

“Without Jillian there is no Institute of Urban Studies. She is the glue that keeps the operations together. Her efficiency and efficacy in her job ensures a smooth operation, and her positive attitude guarantees that even the toughest of times are meet with optimism. The staff of the Institute cannot begin to express their appreciation for Jillian and everything she has done and continues to do.” – Dr. Christopher Storie, Chair, Geography

Joan Grace

Dr. Joan Grace

“I sat at Joan's table the night she was presented the Robin H. Farquhar Award for Excellence in Contributing to Self-Governance. It was a wonderful evening, with laughs a-plenty. It was a well-deserved award then, and would still be thus now.” – Dr. Glenn Moulaison, Dean of Arts

Michael Hohner

Michael Hohner

“Michael has such a wonderfully collaborative spirit and brings a quiet kindness to the workplace. He never needs to prove himself or flex his smarts; rather, Michael is more likely to give a shout out to one of his colleagues for something they did. He is just nice to have around. One of Michael’s claims to fame is that he used to work for NASA. How cool is that?” – Gabrielle Prefontaine, Dean of the Library

Jonh Kozak

John Kozak

“Over the past twenty years, John Kozak has built a filmmaking stream that has seen countless graduates enter the film industry as everything from directors to editors to cinematographers, and every other job imaginable within that diverse industry. And he's done it with wry humour, deep dedication, long hours, and funny stories.

John has created courses in film comedy and film horror. He has made feature films with his students. He has helped his students start their careers as professional filmmakers. He has gone out at midnight, in January, to support students as they've shot their projects. It is no exaggeration to say that, through his passion for cinema, his teaching and relationship building, John has influenced the entire Manitoba film industry. That's pretty good for twenty years of work.” – Christopher Brauer, Chair, Theatre and Film

Shauna MacKinnon

Shauna MacKinnon

“我们Shauna麦金农通常被称为另一个年代hauna MacKinnon’ by people seeking Shauna MacKinnon from Urban and Inner-City Studies, and vice versa. After working for a few years in Admissions, Shauna came to the Registrar’s Office as Off-Campus Program Officer and became indispensable to the delivery of some of our unique programs, such as our high school dual credit courses and the Radiation Therapy program with CancerCare Manitoba. When winter greeted our students from South America and the Caribbean in federal exchange programs, Shauna took them shopping to get parkas and toques and boots. She always enjoyed a laugh with colleagues in IUS (Inter-Universities Services), the consortium of UW, BU, UM, and UCN to deliver courses to northern Manitoba, and had fun when the rotating meetings for admission and registration required a road trip to Brandon or Thompson. Most recently as Coordinator of Academic Scheduling she has put her penchant for detail to good use in one of the most detail-oriented jobs imaginable. And she has particularly risen to the challenge of scheduling both in-person and remote courses, as well as studio recording time and student study carrels, in a pandemic!

Shauna lives in an old house, in an old neighbourhood, and her anecdotes feature her epic battles with repairs and renovations, and with squirrels and other interlopers, but also the close-knit community and community association in which she participates. Other stories immortalize her epic Costco outings and other shopping finds, U-Pick berry excursions, and exercise regimens. She loves opportunities to travel to her happy place, New Mexico, from whence she brought me a sucker encasing a tiny scorpion, which I continue to display on the shelf rather than consuming.

I believe her colleagues were responsible for the little pillow Shauna kept at her desk when she was Assistant to the Director of Admissions, and she remains, as the pillow’s embroidery acclaimed her, ‘Princess of Quite-a-Lot’” – Colin Russell, Registrar

Michael MacKinnon

Dr. Michael MacKinnon

Dr. MacKinnon says, “the thrill on a student's face when they discover the power of education never loses its impact.”

Lisa McLean

Lisa McLean

“Difficult to say what I miss most about Lisa. Pre-Covid, I was used to just walking over to her office and get her invaluable advice on things. Difficult to do right now. I also miss her stories, her treats, and our ‘cake’ meetings.” – Dr. Glenn Moulaison, Dean of Arts

Donna Moskwa

Donna Moskwa

“Donna is the heart and soul of Wesmen athletics. Everyone loves Donna and Donna has the time and energy to help everyone.” – Dave Crook, Director, Athletics

Neal Spears

Neil Spears

Like many other UWinnipeg employees, Neil has “never had to live through a pandemic before!” Fortunately, his favourite thing about working at the university is helping people out, which may be needed upon everyone’s return to campus!

Marc Vachon

Dr. Marc Vachon

“Marc loves the urban environment and that passion is passed onto his students. Whether it is within his intro courses or his senior seminar courses, Marc engages his students with the city around us in ways that are meaningful and place each student within the context of their role within this world. He often takes them on walks of the downtown thereby turning the city around us into his own laboratory.” – Dr. Christopher Storie, Chair, Geography

Kathleen Venema

Dr. Kathleen Venema

Dr. Venema hopes to always remember, “the profoundly transformative pedagogical and personal experience of offering one of our English courses as a Walls-to-Bridges course at the Headingley Women's Correctional Centre in Spring 2016. Our classes were held one evening a week, for four hours, inside the Centre, and included eight students from the Centre and eight on-campus students.” Her favourite thing about working at the university is the opportunity to work with students and colleagues who deepen her commitment to education and social justice. Those same students and colleagues might be surprised to learn that Dr. Venema worked as an RCMP officer in Thompson, MB, for a summer, and that she has flipped vehicles on two occasions… but not while working for either the RCMP or UW!

Karen Wright

Karen Wright

“Karen always says ‘50 words or less’ so I will follow that. Karen has the ability to see through the artifice, which makes her an excellent sounding board. I miss wandering over to chat with her. Karen’s desk, regardless of where it is, is always the gathering space for Records.” – Cara Bartz-Edge, Coordinator, Student Services

Baidu