Research FAQ

We encourage faculty to start new research agendas in a way that responds to the Research FAQ, and to continue to apply for new projects, but to consider the potential for ongoing disruptions and/or changes to work including human and animal subjects. Additionally, other measures such as reduced ability to use labs and or other University facilities should be considered and planned for to the extent possible.

I'd like to review the research guidelines, where can I find past memos? Am I allowed to travel for research?

All university-related, non-essential travel is discouraged. Even where travel is permitted, it is discouraged if it is non-essential or not necessary to attend in person, due to the changing entry requirements of individual countries.

Refer toHealth Canada,Global Affairs CanadaandCanada Travelfor ongoing travel advisory updates to inform your planning.

Discuss travel plans with your department Chair/supervisor and assess any health, environmental, civil, legal, or any other risks you may encounter. Specifically, identify the predominant risks that you will encounter, analyze the exposure to the risk, and identify actions and precautions you can take to prevent or decrease impacts.

Am I able to continue research on-campus and/or in the City of Winnipeg?

Effective October 1, 2020, faculty members will have office access from 8:00 am – 4:00 pm (Monday to Friday). Access to offices does not require formal authorization. Faculty are asked to:

  • send an email, at least 24 hours in advance, indicating their office location and intended schedule— so we can appropriately prepare in accordance with health and safety protocols.

For Research activities on campus or in the field, please continue to complete theResumption of Research Form(on-campus and within Winnipeg). This form will be used to review requests for both on campus research and work done in the field.

The University has established a process to safely allow for resumption of research on-campus and in Winnipeg. However, the number of people and activities will remain limited to comply with public health guidance and reduce the risk of potential exposure to COVID-19. The campus changes will be prioritized, phased in, adapted, and carefully managed as we incrementally increase access.

What do I need to do to plan for research interruptions?

Please develop an individual research plan in preparation for anticipated changes to access to campus as well as the need to maintain social distancing and other protocols for slowing the spread of COVID-19 while conducting research activities.

Researchers should continue their work remotely, if possible and suspend all activities that are not in keeping with social distancing and cannot ensure the health and safety of research personnel and participants.

We must recognize that there will be short term disruptions to research activities both on campus and in the field that will require mitigation efforts. Faculty should also be aware that there is the possibility of a full stop to activities should the situation escalate.

What should my research plan address?

Faculty research plans should address both short term disruption, and the potential impact of a full closure of their research activities. If your research will be significantly impacted, please forward a research plan to your chair and dean with a copy to the Research Office, viaBea刺穿.

How can I support my research support staff on current projects?

Faculty are asked to communicate with research staff (undergraduate students, graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, research associates, and research technicians in labs, etc.) of any changes to workload, both short and long term. Communicate with research staff about work that can be done remotely, and set up a plan to support this. Advise theResearch Officeif there are any potential financial implications of changes to work with respect to grants, contracts and payroll.

How do I access research support services?

Research support is available by email, phone, and video conferencing. Please reach out as needed. We are here to help with questions and to provide ongoing support. All research office staff are working remotely to ensure that faculty have resources to assist with current projects and for applying for new grants.

We will be using theResearch websiteto provide faculty with updates. We also ask that you frequently visit the Tri-Council website pages relevant to your research.

What changes should I consider in my labs, facilities, and experiments?

Determine what can be shut down, what work needs to be monitored , and by whom. Any ongoing tests, procedures etc. that can be interrupted should be considered. Consider the use of virtual meetings for research teams.

Review protocols for disinfecting surfaces to reduce the risk of surface transmission; this would include, but is not limited to, lab benches, fume hoods, instrumentation panels, taps, etc.

For remote fieldwork or attending to work at off site research facilities, special considerations may be needed. Please connect with your Chair, Dean and the Research Office to assist with any arrangements/support for off-site activities. Work with host institutions on procedures they may have in place.

What changes should I consider regarding research involving human subjects?

If it is possible to postpone in-person interviews, focus groups or gatherings this is to be strongly considered.

Interviews to be conducted online or over the phone can proceed or be postponed depending on the circumstances.

Faculty should connect with the Research Office if they expect delays, especially for non Tri-Council research.

Faculty should also consult the Tri-Council for ongoing updates to grants and funding.

The Tri-Council Secretariat has publishedguidelines on human ethics reviewduring the COVID-19 crisis.

For human ethics related questions, please contactHeather Mowat.

Are there any requirements for Research Ethics applications during COVID-19?

During COVID there are specific requirements for Research Ethics applications and amendments for both on-line and in-person research. Please see theResearch Memo #7 -Research Ethics Process during COVID-19to understand these requirements, as well as theFace-to-Face Checklistrequired for research with any in-person contact with participants or research personnel.

What changes should I consider regarding research involving animals?

Applications for the use of animals in research will be reviewed but most research activity will be delayed until the University deems it safe to return to work on campus. (Please note, the UACC does not meet during July and August.)

Please Refer toCCACfor updates. Please also connect with your Dean and Chair to determine plans.

For any offsite or fieldwork, again please ensure that your Dean and Chair are aware if fieldwork cannot be interrupted.

The Director of the Vivarium,Dr. Jens Franck, Department of Biology, should also be contacted for work related to this facility.

For animal ethics-related questions, please contactHeather Mowat.

Will I still have access to research materials and supplies?

Shipping and receiving functions will remain open. Please ensure you connect with suppliers or others if there is to be interruptions.

Please also notify shipping/receiving if there are any special circumstances with respect to shipments and delivery locations.

如果任何商店的购买或订单可以推迟uld be explored should campus functions close.

What do I need to consider when using equipment?

Where the research involves physical assessments and use of equipment (e.g., metabolic carts, facemasks, mouthpieces, nose clips, straps, turbines, valves, tubing, cannula, treadmills, etc.), disinfection according to manufacturer’s standards where applicable is paramount and use of single use accessories is advisable. In the absence of manufacturer standards, thorough cleaning between participants is advised.

What do I need to know about funding sources, deadlines, and deliverables?

If you are undertaking contract based work and have deadlines or pending deliverables that may be interrupted, please connect with the Research Office or the funder directly to request an extension.

It is important to note that some changes may require Contract Amendments, so notify the Research Office as soon as possible.

Based on type of funding, what and needs to be done or moved forward, faculty are encouraged to work with external funders.

What do I need to know about internal grants and travel awards?

There has been a disruption to our normal timelines for processing applications for internal open-call grants. We expect normal timelines to resume by mid-May. This affects Discretionary Grants, Partnership Development Grants, Research Workshop and Conference Grants, and Internal HSS USRAs. For more information contact: Lara Arnason

所有旅游已被停职,其中包括研究rch purposes. The pending travel grant awards competition is also being postponed until further notice. We have not finalized a decision on the June Travel Grant competition but expect that very little travel will be permitted over the coming months. We will update this as soon as possible.

Any internal grant or travel funding awarded for an interrupted conference can be held if the event is rescheduled.

Use of TPDA funds for travel canceled within this fiscal year can be deferred if the event is being rescheduled. If you need to defer travel, please discuss withDr. Jan Stewart, Interim Vice-President, Academic.

What funding opportunties are available?

If you are interested in any of the following opportunities, please submit your application to the research office two weeks before the external deadline.

Research Manitoba

Manitoba Covid-19 Rapid Response Grant– Submissions from April 1, 2020 – September 30, 2020


Partnership Engage Grants Covid 19 Special Initiative- June 15 and Sept 15


Research Training Award – Summer student intern support Expression of Interest due to Jill Condra by May 15, 2020 (

Special Covid-19 funding and application fast-tracking


Operating Grant: Knowledge Synthesis: COVID-19 in Mental Health and Substance Use– May 7, 2020

Operating Grant: COVID-19 May 2020 Rapid Research Funding Opportunity– May 11, 2020


Discovery Grant (DG) – NOI due August 4, 2020

Subatomic Physics Discovery (SAP-DG) – NOI due August 4, 202

Category 2 or 3 Research Tools and Instruments (SAP-RTI) – NOI due August 4, 2020

NSERC Alliance Grants – Open deadline

Am I able to travel for research?

We are working within Provincial and National guidelines to review requests for travel that is essential.

Travel for research purposes within Manitoba has restrictions that need to be observed and are changing. The Provincial Guidelines are updated regularly and provide up to date information about travel within Manitoba. For remote research projects outside of Winnipeg, researchers need to follow the guidelinesposted online.

Travel for other purposes (conferences, meetings and events) has largely been suspended as has internal funding both through the Research Office and use of the TPDA. We will monitor travel conditions and advise when the next call for travel funding will occur.

I may need to cancel tri-council funded travel related to my research, what should I do?

如果你决定取消你的旅行由于cancelled conferences, travel advisories (including those fromHealth CanadaandGlobal Affairs Canada), or personal choice due to health or other concerns, the tri-council agencies have released astatementconfirming that “the reimbursement of non-refundable travel fees from agency funds is acceptable considering the impacts of COVID-19. This applies to the travel of both principal investigators and research personnel.”

If you are travelling for agency-funded research, you should consider purchasing either cancellation insurance, or tickets that are at least partially refundable. In this specific situation, some additional cost could still be viewed as economical if it allows for partial or full reimbursement/credit in the event of cancellation.

请参阅theTri-agency message on COVID-19for more information.

I may need to cancel non-tri-council funded travel related to my research, what should I do?

There may be internal funds available to offset non-refundable travel fees. This will be looked at on a case by case basis. Please contact theResearch Officefor more information or questions related to non-tri-council funding.

Where do I go for more information?

For research inquiries, please

Please connect with your dean, chair, and theResearch Officefor questions during this time. We will work to provide as much information as we can by email and online.